Sunday 4 October 2015

The Magic of October Skies

The title is a mishmash of Van Morrison lyrics from the song Moondance. It also touches on the prompt about magic. Knowing OctPoWriMo was coming up I tried to get a couple poems ready ahead of time. On the first day of fall, it was a perfect Autumn day. A few mad scribblings at breaks pumped this out.

Waiting for the bus is so cold.
I shuffle my feet and feel old.

The leaves I stir go wild.
Soon I'm kicking piles like a child.

The wind gleefully joins the game,
Making mini-tornadoes in my name.

It barrels into a golden tree top.
Leaves explode in a slo-mo firework pop.

A cold wind knife twists and shoves.
For the first time I need gloves.

The air has smells I can almost taste.
What's next--pumpkin spice toothpaste?

The opaque sky spins its silver web.
The sun is a cocoon in its cottony bed.

Misty rain settles on what is still green.
Sparkles spring into a diamond sheen.

The breeze peels back the sky's comfy quilt.
Sun rays pour through and yawning light is spilt.

The noon sun is hot enough to burn my hair.
I wish I was on a beach somewhere.

My comfy coat is a sauna now.
I remove my gloves to wipe my brow.

I strip own to just my uniform shirt.
My shoes cook my feet that start to hurt.

The lemon setting sun makes the sky buttery.
Its a light bulb seen through chamomile tea.

I arrive home to the dying light.
Stuffy windows open to the cool night.

I trudge to my cold bed wondering on the way,
'How can all four seasons dance through just one day?' 


3 comments:

  1. So true. That's why I love fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last line is so true, my daughter was complaining about that today. A good write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last line sounds like my town. :-) Your poem is magical, and honest.

    ReplyDelete