Tuesday 1 October 2013

This Poem is for the Birds.

(Intro: Writing is sometimes about observation. After dropping my wife off, I had an hour to kill before work. I drove to a little park nearby that I occasionally park at, sit in my car and eat my bagged lunch. I noticed some birds. For the whole time, I studied and sketched them. Not being a bird watcher, I had no idea what they were. Perhaps, someone in the know may be able to identify them for me.)

This Poem is for the Birds

I.
An hour before nine on a crisp prairie autumn morning,

walking in the trim dewy grass, they came.

A flock smaller than a robin, bigger than a finch invaded the park.

Politely they hopped and pecked for breakfast in the turf.

Red and yellow golden leaves danced in the tutu of morning fog.

Thin dark beaks sewed a woodpecker's tattoo silently into the lawn.

When they stopped their energetic hunt to swallow their bounty,

some displayed dark moustached circles beside their bills.

Between neck and chest they wore a black insignia patch.

Like military rank some were bars, chevrons, and some just a smile.

Against the chill was a red or scarlet square scarf upon the nape.

Their brown or dark beige shawl sported tiger stripes.

Black tipped tan wings wore a checked twill tweed design.

Their under shirt faded from tan to white bedecked with dots.

Suddenly they took to flight flashing white under tails like deer.

II. 

The swooping prairie gulls bullied their way in 

flapping grey letterman's wings at the nerd birds.

Blunted beaks like an old boxer's nose

harshly blared a stringent call like a ship in the fog.

Proud barrel chests aggressively pushed their own for a scrap.

Bandy flat footed legs gave them an old salt's drunken rolling gait.

Yet, when they flew it was arrow straight and no nonsense.    

6 comments:

  1. Your poem made me think of my dad - and smile. He loved birds.
    All the best on your 2013 OctPoWriMo adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some really good observational skills. I thought the images from the last three lines especially were fantastic. I really liked and had a perfect image of the birds' drunk walk...followed by the opposite surety of their skill in flight. Wonderful contrast and a strong finish. Will look forward to seeing more of your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely scene you paint for us. I smiled reading this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too liked the last bit with the birds' drunken walking contrasted against their skill in flight.

    Maybe they were some kind of sparrow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote some prose about identifying birds recently as well. This time of year there are many traveling birds so I see many I can not identify stopping by my bird feeder. I love it. I never thought I would be a birder but lo and behold!! I also love the practice of observational poetry. Bravo! I look forward to reading more of your poems throughout October!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a lot of birds where I live. Hawks mostly. This time of year I always think "Take me with you!" ;)

    ReplyDelete