Friday 25 October 2013

The Zoo

(I chose a different direction. Instead of focusing on childhood and dreams. I am 'giving myself permission' to write some thoughts. I suppose it relates to childhood.  As a pastor's kid I had to be careful of what I say. I still keep mean or inappropriate thoughts to myself. I do however have rants inside my head to the mirror or worse at work. The problem? I talk with my hands and move my lips. No one has caught me or I might be locked up. This diatribe is one of my favorite. I'm saving it for when...uh if I go postal)

The Zoo

My job is crazy.

Even on a good day.

It's not just crazy,

It's bat crap crazy.

Some days are worse.

Some days the apes escape.

They join in the feces flinging fun.

I'm the only one with a broom or shovel.

Once in a while the zookeepers come out

Wearing clean white uniforms and safari hats.

'You missed a spot over here,' they say.

or 'why did you put this huge pile here?'

'What?!?' I scream 'the crap was here. I just gathered it!'

I don't say that. I just put my head down and keep shoveling.

Shoveling snow in a blizzard.

Sweeping dry manure in a tornado.

I am the surfer on the beach

Holding a little plastic sand bucket

Trying to bail out the tsunami.




3 comments:

  1. I can't help it, I was laughing!
    I've never had to shovel poo at the zoo, but I have helped in a barn before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Well, reading it was fun. Doing it wouldn't be as much so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. " They join in the feces flinging fun./I'm the only one with a broom or shovel."

    Favorite pair of lines! Alliterative...a bit of an internal rhyme and...don't we all have these inner diatribes we'd love to share if didn't care so much what people thought of us? Loved this! Great fun!

    ReplyDelete