Tuesday 15 October 2013

Canadian Gothic, Eh!?!

(http://metronews.ca/news/saskatoon/823559/couple-wants-to-form-creative-village-in-rural-saskatchewan/# This news story caught my eye. I live in Regina, two hours away.)

Canadian Gothic, eh!?! that's what the picture looked like.

She is holding a pitchfork. He's holding a video camera.

Behind them is a renovated church structure.

They are opening their 15 acres with church and studio.

 They are starting an artist's commune...uh retreat centre.

Is it just a Saskatchewan/Canada thing?

When did traditional good old ethnic Orthodox churches

Become neo-hippy weird new unorthodox galleries?

In a way I suppose that cathedral's have always been galleries.

Architecture, fine woodwork, iconography, and stained glass.

Was that the creative pop culture 'web' of community those days?

Oh, I'm just stirring up the nest. I do approve.

Priming the pump(hope they have running water) of creativity

From the well of the past is the kind of circle of life I like.

Someday perhaps I'll see you there?

I would probably go up to work and end up playing.

A little camping, hiking, birdwatching, 

And a lot of cuddling with my wife, 

that's where alot of my inspiration comes from.

If no one is 'worshipping' there, art is the next best thing.

The Lord is a creator. He spoke in parables and metaphors.

When asked a tough question, He stooped down,

And drew or wrote in the sand until he knew what to say.

I wish I had a Tardis, so I could peek over His shoulder and see.

Maybe in a place like that, He would show me.

4 comments:

  1. There are a few old churches in the area where I live that were turned into art centers. It does seem to be the thing to do these days. I kind of like it as I would rather see the old architecture remain and be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather that than a bank! Or a pub. Or a public toilet. It's as good a place as any, and think of the inspiration one would find.. the forgotten whispers of prayer in the air. X

    http://shahscribbles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a fun read and with a sense of enchantment, mixing art and love and the image of Jesus writing in the sand. The Tardis was a perfect touch. I think you are just the type of person he would show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the contrast between the art and the spiritual - and how they mesh and complement.

    ReplyDelete