Saturday 20 October 2012

A poem in motion.

Sometimes you have to 'seize the day',
Get up, take your shot, and walk away.
I was in high school at the time.
My moment came and it was prime.
Rick Hansen's world tour was in his home town,
And a letter came around.
"Would you choose one student
To represent and to present?"
Our little Christian school had a chance
Our reputation to enhance.
I stood in line and watched the crowd.
Our group was small but proud.
I watched the students waiting on the grass
Happy to be in the sun and out of class.
This is a once in a lifetime chance to be heard.
The Father had called me to spread the word.
Each student would simply proclaim,
"On my school's behalf, thank you for your campaign."
Terry, our other envoy wanted to be present but silent.
His eyes grew wide when I told him my intent.
As I thought about what I would say,
My friend desperately began to pray.
"Now the representative from Full Gospel Christian School."
I swallowed hard and tried to keep my cool.
As Terry gave Rick the card and shook his hand.
I nervously approached the microphone stand.
"Thank you sir for your sacrifice and faith
You've given us a hero to embrace.
You make me think of another great man.
Jesus, who came to fulfil God's perfect plan.
As you have taken time, given sweat, and faced strife,
Our Lord was also willing to give up his life.
He paid our debt, no longer due.
That is why in His name, we honour you."
That is the gist without the rhyme or eloquence.
My little speech was met with thunderous silence.
I honestly don't remember if there was even polite applause.
I just ran off the stage without a pause.
The acclaim, that's not what I need.
I only hope that in the dark, I planted a seed.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There was an applause and a long time of Rick holding on to your hand, with a hint of tears in his eyes, you received double thanks!! Never could your parents have been more proud and never was your Heavenly Father more please!!

      Delete