Friday 28 September 2012

The first draft.

   Here it is. The first post of my first blog. Well, to be fair, my wife Esther and I did have a blog: "the Spurrill-Jones clan: keeping up with ourselves." It was a play on the 'keeping up with the Joneses' cliche. We apparently couldn't seeing as it is gathering dust in the archives of cyberspace. She now has two blogs of her own Esther Jones: I Just Live Here and The Spelling and Grammar Templar. It's flitted through my mind a time or two, "I should have my own blog." Then she told me she was going to start a writing challenge--31 poems in 31 days for October: OctPoWriMo. The problem is, I needed a blog to join the blog hop, so I started one. I will be posting a daily poem, as well as some other random thoughts and stories that come.

   I have always loved reading, writing, and telling stories. I love words and their shades of meaning. For example, this post title. 'The first draft'. In essays a draft is a practice writing that you keep tweaking until 'the final draft' which could be a metaphor for death. In construction you draft up plans using a professional draftsman. If you don't follow the plan to letter you'll find a cold draft finding you. In war a draft is an involuntary conscription from a list of names, like I've been roped into this contest. Yet in sports to be the first draft pick is a sought after prize. If you get it, you go for a draft beer delivered by a big draft horse. In banking a draft is a sort of cheque drawn against your wealth. I hope I don't bankrupt my creativity. Some  proper people think you're daft if you don't spell draft as draught as one aught(aft?) to. Finally, draft is the amount of wind in a ship's sails. So I'll cast off and see where this ship of fool gets me.

3 comments:

  1. I will be watching you, my son.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved your poetry, and I'm looking forward to reading what you come up with in October. :)

    ReplyDelete