Saturday 29 September 2012

A distinction of Mark.

   Shakespeare wrote in one play, "What's in a name?...I would deny my name.." In another play he wrote,

"Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls:
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
William Shakespeare, "Othello", Act 3 scene 3


The Bible says, "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches," Proverbs 22:1. Often a name indicates ones destiny.

   I was named Mark Andrew. It means manly warrior. Yet more often than not, I have been a peacemaker who avoids conflict. I know my flaws, yet the bible says, "Mark the perfect man...his end is peace" Ps 37:37. What mark(difference) can I mark(observe) in my life? Like the title of this post, I want to take a phrase like 'a mark of distinction' and make it 'a distinction of Mark'.

Am I a German mark, currrency to be spent like God's pocket change?
Am I a good mark, passing the test or is there red pen marks all over me?
Am I setting healthy boundaries as I mark the territory laid out for me?
Am I a beauty mark as the face of God to man or just a hairy mole?
Am I a tread mark that leaves a distinct impression behind?
Am I a skid mark that has backslidden from refusing to go forward?
Am I closed and mysterious and bent like a question mark?
Am I open and free and enthusiastic like an exclamation mark?
Am I focused on the target, trying to hit the mark?

I don't know. I'll just have mark my words and see if I can figure it out.

   

2 comments: